Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Sleeping beauty wannabe


The worst thing in the world is to try sleep and not to.- F. Scott Fitzgerald                                                                       

I love sleeping just like anybody else. I grab every chance to sleep-while waiting, traveling towards my destination (especially if it's a long-drive or even a 20-minute nap inside a jeepney on my way home), few hours after eating, and since I'm working on a graveyard shift, after finishing my work (okay, not true at all times hehe).

But falling asleep and sleep per se are two different issues for me.


I always have a hard time falling asleep. There are many times that lying in my bed for a couple of hours does not guarantee me a ride to dreamworld instantly nor an unlit room helps me to succumb to sleep. In fact, sleeping in an unlit room unleashes the chicken out of me as thoughts of monsters, ghosts, and other scary-looking creatures haunt me, thus forcing me to open the lights once more. I told my registered-nurse friends about this and they gladly gave me tips on how to fall asleep--- taking a warm bath, avoiding adrenaline rush activities, eating chocolates or drinking coffee few hours before bedtime, drinking warm milk, achieve a "specific bed time," and even rearranging my room to give me that "cozy" feeling. At times, their suggestions work, but more often than not, it doesn't.

sleep like a baby...how i wish! www.babyphotospictures.com

The problem worsens by the time I started working on the graveyard shift.  


Sleeping in the middle of the afternoon on the months of April up until now  is like having my own taste of inferno on earth! My room's ventilation is very poor and I would end up waking up every hour all sweaty (I don't have an airconditioning unit and the electric fan, in its full blast, is of no help). I get cranky since an additional problem occurred, so I decided to tell my mother about this dilemma. Upon consulting with their in-house nurse, she bought me this tiny pink pill. I don't know if it's really a sleeping pill or just an anti-depressant. Anyhow, the pill is effective. But I only take it when needed---like twice a month. I'm all good and feels refreshed after achieving a straight nine-hour sleep. Happiness, indeed. 


can't sleep?you're not alone
www.sleeping-with-a-sleeping-disorder.com


But since I'm not allowed to take this pill everyday, I have to suffer all over again the curse of sleep deprivation, or at least, close to it. Like I said earlier, aside from falling asleep, it's also a struggle for me to achieve a straight and deep sleep since I always end up waking every hour or so---regardless of the weather. And so I begin to wonder why there are people who can easily fall asleep in five seconds in ANY, and I mean ANY, position while I cannot lose consciousness despite lying in a more comfortable  position.

And you know why I am ranting?                                                

Almost two and a half hours of sleep.

And my head starts to feel heavy...dammit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment